Thursday, July 06, 2006

Summer Workout Program

As I have learned previously, trying to maintain a rigorous schedule of training while seperated from the Dartmouth Ultimate Team, at least for me, not only sucks, but just isn't possible. My motivation admitedly is a little lacking. Therefore my plans to stay in shape this summer shouldn't really be looked at as a workout program but rather as a "workout program". My two main goals are to improve endurance and improve my throws, so priority number one is to play as much ultimate as possible. So far so good on that one, as I've found outlets for ultimate 4 nights a week while I'm in Fayetteville and 3 nights a week for when I'm home in Norman. On the other nights I may try to go for longish runs to get my endurance back. That'll pretty much be it until school starts back up. I may try to do some of the ultimate workout depending on how competitive I get with Emily who is currently on week 4. I can't have her outrunning me....

I've been at the University of Arkansas for two days now, and both days I've managed to go out and exercise a bit. Yesterday I ran to the park where pick up is and did 15 5/10's in between practicing hucking. The 5/10's felt good, the hucks did not. Forehands especially need work. The run home was uphill in the evening heat and was rather excruitiating and very slow. I'm blaming the 5 pounds of camelback I was carrying and assuming that if I run unhindered I'll be fine- or at least that's my story. As I was returning to the dorm I ran into the rest of the REU group and went with them to the gym where I did some rock climbing, which was fun. There's a sweet overhang problem there that I am determined to send before the end of the summer. After climbing I did some crunches. All in all like 3 hours of exercise, I was pretty tired.

So today was my first time to go to pick up ultimate. It was a lot fun and it was great to be out playing again after a month off. Considering the month off I think I played rather well, though it's hard to guage given the lax atmosphere of pick up ultimate. I had a pretty sweet layout catch and some good sky D's, plus some solid continuation throws and cuts. Of note were two drops on difficult, but easily catchable throws, so as always after a while off, I need to get my hands back as they are probably my greatest asset. I had two forehand huck attempts as well, and while one was completed, they both sucked. So reclaiming the long throws will be the immediate goal.

I get to play in a tournament this weekend on a shortsided team, so hopefully I'll have lots of opportunity to work on stuff as as well as run a lot and improve my fitness. Should be a lot of fun.

No comments: