Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Fayetteville Summer League

After the pretty good competition at pick up and the tournament over the weekend, I have to admit I came away from my first summer league games a bit frustrated. There were a lot of people new to playing organized ultimate, so actually playing an offensive set was not really possible. I am also probably the most solid handler on the team. I say solid as opposed to best, because there are people who make better dump cuts, or have better throws, but I think I have the best combo of throws, cuts, knowledge, and a holster on hucks. Our team also has 12 guys and we were playing 4/3 coed at times tonight, so playing time was sparse. In our 11-9 second game win, I think I played maybe 6 points. My highlights included a sweet 50 yard backhand huck for a score and a sky catch for a score. Lowlights included some pretty lazy defense and a couple rather sloppy low release backhands that I made very hard for the receiver to catch (one was caught, the other was dropped).

So, the question is what can I get out of this? Since our team is full of cutters, I have resigned myself to handling for the team, so I'll be working on that, noteably trying to make the offense run through me and then having consistent throws, smart successful hucks, and no turnovers. Handling was even frustrating tonight though as the inexperience players would make horizontal cuts in front of the disc and then clear out right next to the handlers, so at times we had five people behind the disc, making it kind of hard to get open for dumps. Hopefully that'll improve as our team learns the game more. As for now I still have pick up on Thursday and Sunday and practice with an open team on Wednesday to work on my cutting.

No comments: