Sunday, December 24, 2006

AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco

The conference was definitely a very cool experience. I spent most of my time perusing the Volcanology posters, and I think I learned a lot. I also managed to talk to numerous potential grad school advisors from different schools. A postdoc at the menlo park USGS office (and a member of the Volcano Hazrds Team, my dream job), took me under her wing and introduced me to every prominent volcanologist she could find. It was awesome. Have you ever seen that documentary about the geologists who go to the Phillipenes and predict the Pinatubo eruption in 1991? No? Well fine, but I met those guys, including the current director of the National Volcanic Disaster Assistance team. How cool of a job title is that? I think I may have gushed a little bit to this guy though, saying how that sounded a group of super heroes or something, you know, like... Volcano Team! Assemble! ha ha... yeah, that led to an awkward silence.

I also hung out with some Dartmouth people, ate Chipotle for lunch, and presented a poster of my REU research. My poster presentation went well, it wasn't well attended, but I was able to answer the questions a couple people asked me, and no one questioned my intelligence, so I walked away happy. In addition, thanks to the expo of geology related stuff going on during the conference, I now have lots of useless, cool-looking free stuff, including a foam rock I can throw at people.

Finally, I have continued to notice in cities that as bluetooth technology gets better and smaller it gets harder and harder to tell whether the person waving their arms wildly and yelling on a street corner is crazy or a stock broker.

No comments: