Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Dominica

So I now find myself on a small, volcanic carribean island of about 290 square miles. It is pronounced, as I found out today, with the second 'i' stressed so as to sound different from the Dominican Republic. The island has already impressed me. The topography is very steep, with the roads winding precariously close to 300 foot plus cliffs. The highest points on the island are over 4,000 feet, and as far as I could tell, there is not a gradual slope to be found.

My tropical adventure began before the plane even landed. As we dropped below the clouds Dominica and its steep sea cliffs surged into view. The plane continued it's approach slightly inland, and right when the treetops on the ridges seemed about to touch the landing gear and I though we were about to land, the plane banked steeply to the left and dove into a valley, the floor and sides no more than 200 feet away on any side. After customs and immigration, it was time to drive across the island to our home for the next month, the Springfield Plantation, a science research station a few miles uphill from Roseau, the capital.

First off, Dominicans drive on the wrong, or British side of the road, and the very sinuous roads are barely two carwidths wide at any point and are borded by 2 foot deep ditches to help runoff from the common torrential downpours. This makes driving here (or even riding shotty, as I did) a rather adrenaline-inducing, white knuckle affair. I'm glad our rental trucks are stick shifts so that there is no chance of me every being forced to drive here.

The Spring Plantation is pretty sparce in relative to our hotel in San Juan last night, but will make a good home base for the 4 weeks we are here. There is wireless everywhere, great food, and a bar, so my basics needs are accounted for.

Tomorrow is our first day in the field and my first attempt to deal with trifecta of bugs, humidity, and thick jungle vegetation.

No comments: