Thursday, June 17, 2010

Last Hurrah



Last Friday I went skiing in the Beartooth Mountains of Wyoming. It was my 101st ski day for the 09-10 season. It took 2.5 hours to drive there from Mammoth and find a good place to make some turns, but it was worth it. I ended up skiing what is locally known as the Gardner Chutes and one of the more popular places to ski on the pass. I took 4 runs, each somewhere between 500 and 700 vertical. It took me about 30 minutes to hike back up after each run and about 1 minute to ski down. The conditions were at best thick potatoes, but it was boot deep, untracked, steep, and mid-June. I'll take it. I'm tempted to go again, but the drive is just a little too far and the conditions just a little too poor to really justify it. So instead I think I'll stick to exploring Yellowstone further and trying to find some summer.

Also in the area was a crew from Toy Soldier Productions, a Montana-based ski film company. They were in the middle of building a huge kicker next to the slopes I was skiing on. Unfortunately the jump was so big they couldn't finish it in a day, so I didn't get to see them session it. From watching the trailer on their website I missed out too, those guys are sic. If the Beartooth session makes the movie trailer, I'm likely buying their film: Come Find Us.

This coming weekend I'll be taking Roo out for its 1st birthday celebratory drive- a tour of the remnants of the Island Park caldera in Idaho that was created by the eruption of Yellowstone volcano 1.3 million years ago. I put over 23,000 miles on Roo in its first year. Not bad.

No comments: