Sunday, July 05, 2009

Enjoying the Simple Things

Two weeks into living at Yellowstone and I'm already a bit jaded.

"It's just a *(&^*!$ buffalo! There's no reason to park your car in the middle of &*^! the road on a &*^!@# holiday weekend so your wife can get that perfect photo! You're going to see 100 more of the $%^!&* things today!"

So while I the above quote is a very common thought as I drive through the park, I am making special note of the little things that make me very happy, and make me realize that I am lucky to be able to live and work here. Things such as:

-getting out on the trails and being the only person to see a mother elk prodding her calf up a hill into the cover of the forest.

-driving in the rain through the mountains. Especially I have Michael Franti playing on my iPod.

-Barreling downhill on my mountain bike, going 2.6 miles in 15 minutes, to emerge at the trail head 50 feet from my house and getting inside just before the daily thunderstorm hits.

-Getting to wear chest-high waders and play in a lake for an afternoon and call it 'field work'.

-The fact that when you're doing field work near sulfur vents, you can fart as much as you want and no one will notice.

No comments: