Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Jeep

On my recent ski trip the Jeep hit 161,000 miles. Damn. Never did I imagine when I was 8 and helping my mom pick out a car to replace our Subaru wagon that not only would I one day drive that car, but have it be effectively mine for a good 6 years and counting. Hopefully it has another couple years in it.

I am more attached to that car than ever now after probably my scariest driving moment last week in Colorado. The Jeep probably saved my life by being badass. I was driving down I-70, leaving Colorado, near Minturn when a firetruck pulling away from an accident around a blind curve forced me to slow down and try to change lanes. Unfortunately there a truck in the left lane, and it also slowed down, but started to fishtail as it braked. With the fishtailing truck right next to me, I had to put on the brakes, and I started to fishtail. Apparently we (and the flipped truck in a ditch ahead of us which the fire truck was attending to) had found some black ice. Then the truck spun out, and spun across my lane directly in front of me. Though I was still in control of the Jeep, I had to no choice but to swerve out of the way, either towards the median guardrail or a snowbank. I chose the snowbank. The Jeep plowed into it obliquely going at least 30, the front right wheel probably got about 4 feet up the side, I could feel the Jeep starting towards rolling over, but I was able to steer the Jeep out of the snowbank with my remaining momentum. I came to a stop parallel to the road with the right side of the Jeep about 2-3 feet higher the left up the snowbank. The truck had also hit the snowbank and was 10 feet in front of me facing in my direction. The driver and I exchanged "holy shit!" looks. About 10 feet beyond the truck was an ambulance still helping the truck which had flipped over earlier and was off the road. We were lucky.

Now for the most impressive part: After a brief moment to collect myself, I punched the accelerator down and the Jeep drove out of the snowbank. Just like that. Powered through the thing. I walked about the Jeep and found nothing wrong. I was able to drive home to Wisconsin like nothing happened. The other truck had to get towed. Damn.

I love that car.

No comments: